ADDRESS BY THE HONOURABLE MAYOR/ SPEAKER CLLR SAM VUSO TO THE ORDINARY COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE MOUNTAIN VIEW MULTIPURPOSE COMMUNITY HALL ON THE 28TH MAY 2015 AT 10H00
ANC Chief Whip
Councillors of Koukamma Municipality
Municipal Manager and Directors
Local Leadership and Members of the Public
Ladies and Gentlemen
Compatriots and Friends
I salute you all.
Today, we are gathered here to define a roadmap with important milestones as part of the political mandate, legislative obligations and administrative responsibilities of the Koukamma Municipality.
The fundamentals of this roadmap and important milestones are premised on;
- Legal Framework governing Local Government,
- The outcomes of the Strategic Planning Session of 26 – 27 February 2015,
- The review of the Integrated Development Plan and Budget Proposal for the Financial Year 2015/ 2016,
- The Inter-Governmental Relations Framework that fosters the cooperation and collaboration of programmes of the different spheres of Government.
The roadmap and the milestones are progressive in that they;
- Capture the aspirations and needs of the people of Koukamma,
- Are inclusive of the public submission based on extensive public consultation engagements,
- Incorporate the programmes of Sector Departments including Sarah Baartman District Municipality.
Of importance to note;
- Water and Sanitation forms major priority of the IDP and Budget Plans in terms of Capital Projects.
Installation of Bulk Water Hybrid Solution through the Regional Bulk Infrastructure Grant to cover a New Water Treatment Works, Underground Water and Possible Pipeline Installation from the Misgund Dam.
- Improvement of the Bulk Water Treatment Works to ensure improvement of the yield and sustainable supply of drinkable water at R3. 5million
- Rehabilitation of Waste Water Treatment Works has been begun at a cost of R2. 9million and expected to be completed in September 2015.
- Installation of Water Harvesting Tanks for 370 households is underway at a cost of R3 million,
- A Business Plan for the construction of a Water Storage Facility has been submitted to Water and Sanitation Department for funding through Regional Bulk Infrastructure Grant at a cost of R14 million, however, we are awaiting a written response from the Department though in a meeting with the Mayor, the MM, Director Technical Services and Mr Daniel Raseala,, they supported the submission
A programme to replace the cement pipes with PVC Pipes to complete the overhaul of the underground Infrastructure is receiving attention, at a cost of R25 million, which will be part of MIG as a Multi – Year Project
A complete overhaul of the existing Bulk Water Infrastructure in Coldstream is underway as part of Strategic Partnership between Koukamma Municipality and Water and Sanitation Department with the support of Rapid Response Unit and Aurecon, who are appointed engineers for the project.
Waste Water Treatment Works and improvement of activated sludge at cost R4 million through MIG and ACIP
- Replacement of the asbestos cement pipes to PVC pipes at a cost of R7 million to improve quality of drinkable water,
- Improvement of Bulk Infrastructure through new intake of substation and upgrading of pole mounted transformer substation.
Installation of Water Harvesting Tans in partnership with Department of Rural Development and Land Reform at a cost R3.5 million
Waste Water Treatment Works – construction of new inlet works with an outlet flow meters
Low Pressure Pipes at a cost of R3.5million through MIG to address supply of water to the local community.
Elevated Steel Storage Reservouir with new 23Kilolitres capacity at a cost of R1 million
In addition, we intend to install full water borne sewer System in a number of settlements as part of Multi – Year programme through MIG.
I will elaborate further on this topic when I table the IDP and Budget for approval for the Financial Year 2015/ 2016
On that note, we are on track and commit all to do better for the total benefit of all our communities.
I thank you !!!!!!!